With many people out of work and struggling to make ends meet, charitable giving and philanthropy is more important than ever to help people domestically and around the world get on their feet and lead better lives. If you’re interested in learning how to give back or want to find out more about people and organizations dedicated to philanthropy, the web is a great place to start. These blogs will help you get a clearer picture of philanthropic projects large and small, and ways that you can get the greatest result from dedicating your time or money.
These blogs touch on a wide range of issues related to philanthropy, charity and giving.
- Tactical Philanthropy: Sean Stannard-Stockton talks about many of the issues associated with large-scale philanthropic efforts in this blog.
- Cause Global: Check out this blog to learn how social media is affecting social change and acts as an avenue for philanthropy.
- Sasha Dichter’s Blog: This blogger Sasha Dichter is the director of a global non-profit venture fund that invests in enterprises that fight poverty in the developing world. Learn more about his ventures here.
- Intelligent Giving: Make sure you’re giving smart by reading this helpful blog.
- Charity Navigator: Don’t know much about charitable organizations? Want a little help finding out if a charity is reputable? Check out this blog.
- Philanthropy: This world affairs blog touches on everything from TV show depictions of philanthropy to making giving into a business.
- High Impact Philanthropy: The School of Social Policy and Practice at the University of Pennsylvania maintains this blog all about making philanthropy go further.
- Philanthropy a la Mode: Learn how to be charitable and chic at the same time from this blog.
- New Voices of Philanthropy: This blog is focused on helping the younger generation prepare to be leaders in the philanthropic world.
- Evange-list: Read this blog to learn ways that you can more effectively use technology for the greater good.
- The $5 Philanthropist: This blog explores ideas of social networks and philanthropy, as well as personal thoughts on individual real-world projects.
- Blog for Change: Read this blog to learn about some of the big issues that need philanthropic attention and policy change.
- In Search of Sanuk: This blog promotes humanitarian causes around the world and gives recognition to those who dedicate their time and resources to help.
- Asian Philanthropy: Here you’ll find news and information about giving to charities in Asia.
Individual Ways to Make a Difference
Even if your budget is small, you can work towards making the world a better place, as these blogs demonstrate.
- The Philanthropic Family: This family aims to make philanthropy a lifestyle, and the blog reports not only on their giving but on aid projects worldwide.
- Ordinary People Change the World: Don’t think you can make a difference? This blog can show you otherwise.
- What Do You Stand for?: If you’re unsure what it is you believe in standing up for, take a look at this blog. You may find a cause you can put your time behind.
- Travelanthropist: Don’t just travel the world, learn and make a difference while you do it. This blog explains more about altruistic travel.
- Dollar Philanthropy: With the goal of getting bloggers and visitors to donate a dollar a week to charities, this blog shows that every little bit helps.
- Have Fun – Do Good: Being charitable doesn’t mean being unhappy. This blog explains some ways to give back and feel good at the same time.
- Skip a Lunch: Here you’ll learn what a big difference small changes, like skipping a lunch, can make.
- One Person Can Make a Difference: With news and commentary on a range of issues, this blog explains ways in which people can be the change they want to see.
- So What Can I Do?: This blog promotes ethics in action and explains the ways in which we all can get involved in good works.
- The Change Blog: From changing your life to changing the world, this blog explores a range of issues related to change for the better.
- How I Changed the World Today: Follow this blogger as she attempts to make charitable gestures every day to make the world a better place.
- A Volunteer’s Guide to Changing the World: If you don’t have money to donate, why not donate your time? This blog shows how volunteering can make a world of difference.
- Charitable Gift Giving: Next time you give a gift check out this blog first. You’ll learn what items will give back to charities when you purchase them.
- The GiveWell Blog: With the motto, "get real change for your dollar," this blog aims to help you get the most mileage out of the time and money you dedicate to charity.
- Enjoying Life and the Community We Create: This mom uses this blog as a forum to talk about the community projects they work with in their hometown.
- Everyday Giving: Blogger and speaker Roger Carr maintains this blog, full of ideas on small ways we can all give back to the world.
Learn about some of these groups of people who are dedicated to philanthropic endeavors through these blogs.
- Big Blue Bottle: Learn how these cyclists are giving back to their community on this blog.
- Asian American Giving: Read this blog to learn more about the Asian American community’s philanthropic efforts.
- Drink Charitably: This wine doesn’t just taste great but gives back to charitable causes as well.
- Big Thinking on Small Grants: Check out this blog to learn about groups all over who are getting grants and making changes and ways you can get involved.
- League of Virtue: This global community is dedicated to taking small steps to making a big difference.
- Pulling for the Underdog: Co-founder of GlobalGiving Dennis Whittle maintains this blog, focused on helping people find philanthropic projects and connect with aid groups.
- Global Goodness: This blog is full of inspirational stories of groups who’ve made a difference the world over.
- United Nations Good Works: Take a look at this blog to learn about the projects supported and initiated by the United Nations that are making a change for people in communities all over the world.
- Kiva Stories from the Field: Learn how these individuals, involved with the charitable organization Kiva, changed their lives or made a difference in another’s.
- Service to Others: While this blog focuses on the efforts of Blackbaud, a company manufacturing fundraising software, individuals can find advice and inspiration as well.
News and Commentary
These blogs will update you on the latest happenings in the philanthropic world.
- Give and Take: Read this blog to get a roundup of opinion columns from the philanthropy blogging world.
- Inside Philanthropy: Todd Cohen at the Philanthropy Journal maintains this blog, full of news about the nonprofit world.
- Ken’s Commentary: Ken Berger is the president of Charity Navigator and posts his reactions to events in charitable giving.
- Philanthropy Journal: Check out this online journal to learn more about corporate philanthropy.
- PhilanTopic: Here you’ll find news and commentary on a range of philanthropy issues as well as links to other interesting sites.
- Paul Brest: This Huffington Post blog provides news updates and personal views on giving.
- onPhilanthopy Buzz: Keep up with what’s going on in the world of Philanthropy with this blog.
- Charity Chatter: Sometimes serious, sometimes silly, this blog shares news and thoughts on charitable giving.
- Philanthropy News Digest: Here you can read the biggest news stories related to philanthropy.
- Philanthropy Today: This blog offers a summary of some of the biggest contemporary issues in philanthropy.
- Charitable Advisors Blog: This blog is geared towards the corporate sphere and those in charge of business giving.
- Values: The Blog: Here you’ll find news reports and commentary on a range of global philanthropy issues.
Most charitable organizations can’t operate without some serious fundraising. Learn more about this process and how you can contribute through these blogs.
- Prospecting: Read this Chronicle of Philanthropy blog to keep up with what’s going on in the fundraising world.
- PHILANTHROPY 2173: This blog will teach you more about the financial and business sides of giving.
- A Small Change: If you want to start your own nonprofit you can get some great fundraising tips here.
- The Raiser’s Razor: This site provides links and information on some of the best and most useful fundraising resources out there.
- When Pigs Fly: This blogger works as a fundraiser at a school and shares some of her experiences here.
- Donor Power Blog: Learn how to make donors feel important and to get more money for your cause through this blog.
- The Fund Raising Coach: Those looking to do a little fundraising can get some no nonsense coaching from this site.
- Fundraisers.com: Read through the helpful information provided by this blog to get news and advice on fundraising.
- Fundraising Recession Watch: Through this blog you can learn how the recession is affecting charitable giving and fundraising success.
- Fundraising for Nonprofits: Focused on nonprofits, this blog provides some good tips on getting donors.
- Charity Partnership: Take a look at this blog to hear about some of the ways corporations inspire giving.
Check out these organizations for some inspirational stories of philanthropy.
- SpiritJump: This organization provides hope and comfort to those dealing with cancer to let them know they aren’t alone in their fight.
- One Blog: Read this blog to learn more about the ONE Network, working to fight poverty in Africa.
- Bad Rap: Donate to this organization that’s hoping to give pit bulls a second chance and change their reputation.
- Love Without Boundaries: Here you’ll read about an organization that provides facial reconstruction and adoption help for children in China.
- BobbiBear: This group helps protect and prevent the sexual abuse of children.
- Computers for Charity: Learn how that old computer, with a little work, can do a lot of good for someone in need rather than taking up space in a landfill.
- Animals in Distress: Through this blog you can learn about ways that you can help save and support animals that have been hurt or abandoned.
- South Asian Philanthropy Project: Check out this site to learn about charitable work being done in South Asia.
- WorldChanging: Visit this blog to learn about some of the biggest and best environmental initiatives around the world.
- 825LA: This nonprofit writing and tutoring center helps kids improve their skills.
Learn more about how nonprofits run and some ways that you can get involved from these blogs.
- Bob Ottenhoff Blog: This blogger is President and CEO of GuideStar, an organization that helps businesses optimize their philanthropic efforts.
- The Communications Network Blog: Learn what it takes to be an effective communicator in the nonprofit world on this blog.
- Non-Profit Tech Blog: Here you’ll find out about all the techie solutions that can help nonprofits do more for less.
- Free the Non-Profits: This blog addresses the issue of efficiency in regard to nonprofits.
- Nonprofit Law Blog: Attorney Gene Takagi addresses many of the legal issues that face nonprofit organizations in this blog.
- Change for Your Dollar: Addressing marketing and business issues related to nonprofit organization, this blog is an interesting read.
- Nonprofit Blog Exchange: If you’d like to read posts from a number of nonprofit blogs in one place, check out this blog.
- Nonprofit Consultant Blog: Blogger Ken Goldstein has years of experience working with nonprofits and shares his ideas through this site.
- Forging Ahead: Want to get inspired? This blog will show you how one young woman started and expanded a wonderful nonprofit organization.
Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Who says philanthropy can’t be a business too? These blogs are focused on business ventures and innovations that make a difference.
- Andrew Wolk: This blog is all about finding better ways to invest philanthropic dollars and share ideas to improve living conditions around the world.
- Fuel for the Field: Home to the Roberts Enterprise Development Fund, this blog talks about important news and ideas for philanthropic business.
- Social Entrepreneurship: Through the Change.org website this blog hosts articles about innovative ideas to fight poverty and hunger.
- Social Velocity: This blog is all about funding and ideas for projects that are not only innovative but that help others as well.
- Stanford Social Innovation Review: Check out this site for ideas and tools to help nonprofits and social entrepreneurs get their projects off the ground.
- How to Change the World: Maintained by Guy Kawasaki, this blog offers motivational tips, resources and even job postings in the social change field.
- America Forward: This organization is focused on using innovation as a means of helping people throughout America live better, happier lives.
- Beneblog: Here you can read about the kinds of technology that offer a big benefit to society but that may not be highly profitable.
- Innovate2Uplift: Read through the posts on this blog to learn more about the creative people who are bringing about change through their ideas.
- Do Good Well: This site focuses on keeping social change entrepreneurship and innovation in line with best practices policies.
Most religions encourage members to give back to the community through charity. Learn more about this kind of opportunities through these blogs.
- Tall Skinny Kiwi: This blogger aims to help and support causes that aid Christians around the world.
- Connectional Giving Blog: Check out this Methodist blog to learn more about how connectional giving works and the effect it has on givers.
- eJewish Philanthropy: Through this blog you can find out about charitable issues that are pertinent to the Jewish community at home and abroad.
- Open Hands: This blog combines faith and philanthropy, commenting on both topics regularly.
- Gleaning the Harvest: Pay a visit to this organization’s blog to learn more about what this Christian foundation is doing to help families in need.
- The New Jew: Learn about big donors, places where your money could be useful and more on this blog.
- Jewish Donor Blog: Here you can read about the biggest news in philanthropy within the Jewish community.
- One World Mission Blog: Read inspiring stories about Christians who are helping families and individuals overcome hardships the world over.